Soo Yoo For State Assembly
I immigrated to America at age 8 and grew up in Los Angeles. My elementary school was over 90% Latino. Spanish became my second language and I continued studying Spanish until College. This background has helped me connect with our diverse community.
My parents were typical first generation Korean immigrants who worked hard and struggled to achieve the American Dream. I learned sacrifice, hard work, and the importance of faith from them. I believe these have been the cornerstones of my life, and what I will bring to serve our community in the Assembly.
I was a tomboy growing up! I enjoyed sports, and was on the Varsity Volleyball team in high school. I believe we need our children to be well-rounded, and that our education system should allow students to enjoy both academic and extra-curricular activities.
Extended families are the core of our community. The help provide financial and emotional support that we need in a hectic society. I have been married for 31 years and have four daughters. My husband is a pastor, who retired from being the senior Pastor of New Life Mission Church in Buena Park. We pastored two ministries together, and those were some of the best years of my life.
I was elected to ABCUSD School Board in 2013. I have served as board President twice. I’m proud of the academic success that our school board has accomplished, and strongly believe that parents should have more input into how and what their students learn.
As your Assemblywoman I’ll be focused on lowering our cost of living, making our community safe again, and making sure our students get the kind of education they deserve.
My education and career experience include:
- B.A. UC Irvine (Social Ecology with an emphasis on human behavior)
- M.A. Westminster Theological Seminary (emphasis on Counseling)
- ABC Unified School District Board President
- Founder and Director of Gateway Academy since 1994, (College Admission and SAT prep)
- Youth Counselor since 1990 (helped many youths with depression and addiction problem)
- American Red Cross – Founder/Director Gateway Chapter 2007
- American Cancer Society Relay for Life Sponsor since 2008
13737 Artesia Blvd. Suite # 108